Staffing… Check! Beer… Check! Food… Check! Equipment?…….. Equipment?…….. Bueller?! Make sure your commercial kitchen equipment (Fryers, Beer Coolers, Refrigerators, Ranges, etc.) is up to the task on game day by calling Jay-Hill Repairs now!Read More
So here we are, smack in the middle of the holiday season. The Holidays bring back memories of time spent with friends & family, the wonderful aromas of a delicious turkey or ham cooking in the oven, egg-nog, mulled wine, side dishes of candied yams and string bean casserole, pumpkin and apple pies for desert, […]Read More
Is your Kitchen Equipment LOOKING SCARY?
Are you having issues with your equipment that actually make you nervous?
We know from experience, that SAFETY is ALWAYS a top priority for our customers, but sometimes issues that really need to be addressed, get overlooked or forgotten.
That’s why Jay-Hill Repairs offers three really great Preventative Maintenance Programs to our customers. By signing up for a Preventative Maintenance Plan, you can be sure that all your kitchen equipment is being inspected on a regular basis and any small issues you are experiencing can be dealt with before they turn into EXPENSIVE REPAIRS or SAFETY CONCERNS.
Here’s some quick info about the Preventative Maintenance Plans
we offer & why you might need one:
Why do I need a Planned Preventative Maintenance Program?
- Inspections are critical for identifying small problems with your equipment before they turn into large, costly, repairs.
- Our professional technicians will inspect your equipment on a regular basis, assisting you in identifying any safety, operational, and maintenance issues.
- Proactively maintaining your kitchen equipment WILL SAVE YOU MONEY in the long run. You will experience less breakdowns, fewer repairs, and a longer service life of your equipment.
- You will receive PRIORITY SERVICE. Cut in line and get faster service (often same-day) on your equipment.
- Following Preventative Maintenance procedures helps to control food-borne illness. Calibrating thermometers and thermostats on cooking and refrigeration equipment help to curb bacterial growth.
How does a Planned Preventative Maintenance Program Work?
- You choose the equipment you want covered – from all of the equipment in your kitchen to just a few select units.
- You decide how often you’d like us to come – monthly, quarterly, twice a year - it's up to you.
- We work with you to create a maintenance plan just for you. All kitchens are different…and so are their needs. Our experts will help set up the best preventative maintenance plan for your kitchen.
Types of Plans we offer:
Standard Preventative Maintenance Program
- We check safe and proper operation, calibrate temperature controls, check for wear and tear on the components of the unit, perform equipment maintenance, and address any specific issues that your chef or kitchen staff may have while on site.
- Any deficiencies discovered by our Technician will be communicated to the client. All repairs are quoted for your approval so you can manage your budget in the best way for your business.
- Check general and safe operation of equipment.
- Check electrical connections for safe & proper operation.
- Check all controls for proper operation & adjust as necessary
- Check all burner and gas valves for safe and proper operation.
- Adjust burners to operate at maximum efficiency.
- Check & Calibrate temperature and controls, as needed.
- Check all operations mechanisms such as springs, hinges, etc.
- Check door hardware & gaskets.
- Clean & adjust gas/air ratios & pilots as necessary.
- Make recommendations for all repairs.
- Lubrication of all moving parts
- Brush down coils to remove surface debris
- Blow out condensate drains if blocked
- Inspect for vibrations & noise
- Inspect heaters
- Inspect fan assemblies
- Check door gaskets, hinges, proper operation
- Check (& adjust if needed):
- Inspect equipment drains & condensate pans for deterioration
- Make recommendations for all repairs.
Premium Preventative Maintenance Program
Some of the equipment in your kitchen requires more attention than others to keep it running efficiently, extend its usable life, and protect it from costly repairs. Regular maintenance on this equipment is crucial to maintain safe and proper operation.
Premium PM Programs include all of the services provided in the Standard PM, plus the premium services shown below.
- Boiler Systems: Steamers, Kettles, Combi-Ovens, etc. – These units require regular descaling of the calcium buildup from the water. Scale deposits build up in thickness through daily use of the unit, accumulating along the inside walls of the generator and in all the valves and pipes. Scale buildup restricts the free flow of steam and may cause physical damage to components. In addition, scale buildup can expand with heat causing equipment to crack and heating elements to explode. Scale will also coat the surface of sensors and cause false readings and malfunctions.
- Dishwashers – Dishwashers need to be delimed to prevent poor cleaning, temperature issues and draining problems.
- Equipment with Water Filters – Changing water filtration cartridges to reduce scale build-up, remove dirt & particulates from the water, and avoid water starvation issues.
- Slicers – Blades need to be sharpened and the meat carriage needs to be lubricated with food grade oil.
- Refrigerators & Freezers – All refrigerators and freezers require chemical cleaning of the coils to remove dirt, grease, dust, corrosion, etc. which act as an insulating barrier and robs the system of its efficiency, ultimately increasing operating costs and the likelihood of compressor, condenser & evaporator failure.
- Ice Machines – All ice machines require cleaning & sanitizing to prevent the spread of bacteria which can cause illness, and must have the water filters changed, and be descaled, to ensure proper operation.
- HVAC – HVAC units require semi-annual maintenance (Spring & Fall) which includes coil cleaning and air filter and belt change outs to ensure safe air quality and proper operation.
Block of Time Agreements
Block of Time Agreements allow you to choose the number of hours* you want to purchase in advance. Hours are pre-paid before the start of the contract and are renewable when they run out. These blocks of time can be used for whatever you need.
- Maintenance? Repairs? New Equipment Installs? These are YOUR HOURS - use them as you'd like.
- You receive 10% additional COMPLIMENTARY hours when you buy a time block.
- LOWEST HOURLY RATE for service.
- Time Block hours don't expire. Haven’t used them all this year? No problem, they carry over!
- Quicker Service - We make you a priority. It's like getting a "cut in line" pass.
*Block of Time purchases start at 30 hours.
Baby, it’s HOT Outside! Keep your Refrigeration Equipment Running Cool!
Summer is here and IT IS HOT. With these hot temps, it’s time to focus on keeping all your refrigeration equipment working in tip top order.
Refrigeration Equipment doesn’t have a lot of moving parts, but it still requires steady and consistent maintenance to keep it working (and keep your valuable food cool and safe). Below is a list of of reasons why your refrigeration equipment may not be working efficiently – and what you can do to fix the problems.
- Dirty Coils
All refrigeration equipment needs to have the coils cleaned at least 2 times a year, more frequently if it shares the kitchen with greasy cooking equipment. The coils get clogged with grease carried in the air and the condenser and evaporator can’t keep the food cold. The grease on the coils forces the condenser and evaporator to work harder and harder until they finally fail. Replacing these components is extremely expensive and can be prevented if you have the proper maintenance schedule in place.
- Ice buildup
Moisture from the air freezes onto the evaporator coils and forms an insulating barrier to heat transfer. Airflow decreases as the passages narrow due to the buildup of ice. Each evaporator has a defrost cycle to melt ice that has built up, however sometimes the timer needs to be adjusted for more frequent defrost cycles. Oftentimes, a faulty door gasket is the problem. Outside air passes into the refrigerator through the faulty gasket and causes ice buildup. A new gasket is required and is a quick and simple fix.
- Water Leaks
A blocked defrost drain is a common cause of water leaks. This happens when food particles, grease & other debris clog up the drain which can lead to ice buildup and can cause water to leak out of the refrigerator or freezer.
- Lack of Ventilation
Always ensure that there is ventilation for refrigeration equipment that is located in a small or enclosed space. Installing fans can help too!
Keep your Refrigeration and Freezer equipment running properly, and the food within them at proper temperatures, by calling Jay-Hill Repairs for an affordable Refrigeration Preventative Maintenance Agreement. No more overnight emergencies to greet you in the morning!
Eventually there will come a time when a piece of equipment in your kitchen starts costing you a lot of money in repairs and downtime, making preparing meals more difficult and impacting your bottom line. Failing equipment which has met its life expectancy can also be a safety issue. So, how do you make the decision to replace a piece of equipment? There are number of things to consider:
Growing Repair Costs: You may have a piece of equipment that requires more and more frequent repairs. You’ve come to the point that you need to decide if it is repairable to a point of consistent performance or if you just must replace it. If you find that the cost of repairing the equipment is getting close to half of the value of a new unit, you might want to consider replacement. Let’s say you have piece of equipment in need of repair that is worth $5000 and the repair cost would be $2500. If you feel that the repair will add another 10 years of useful life to the equipment without any need for additional repairs, then go ahead and make the repair. If, however, there are other issues with the unit and it will still need additional repairs, it might be time to bite the bullet and start looking for a new unit. Usually, by this point, your service company has noted in their invoices that the piece of equipment needs to be replaced. If not, you may want to ask their opinion.
Availability of Parts: If your equipment is very old, there will come a time when you will not be able to get replacement parts for it any longer.
When it’s Cheaper to Buy New: Some pieces of equipment just aren’t worth the money it would cost to repair them because their replacement cost might be the same or even cheaper than the repair. These are typically smaller units like counter-top blenders, food processors, warmers, coffee makers, microwaves, etc.
Safety: Sometimes the equipment becomes dangerous to you, your staff, your customers and your establishment. Even if the equipment is still working, you must make that decision to replace it. Gas leaks, electrical issues, shocking staff, etc., if not repairable, dictate that you replace the equipment.
Some advantages of purchasing new equipment: There are many new (and in some cases, improved) models on the market. Below are a few reasons you might want to replace your old equipment:
Improvements such as improved energy and water efficiency options
A smaller footprint in your kitchen
The ability to perform more tasks than your old unit.
Additionally, a new piece of equipment relieves you of the stress of not knowing when another emergency breakdown will occur and new equipment will come with a manufacturer warranty for a year or two, which will cover any parts failures or manufacturing defects. It will also have a brand new life expectancy. Make sure that you properly maintain the equipment, so that you can take advantage of this new start and keep your equipment running well for many years to come.
Jay-Hill Repairs offers a variety of maintenance agreements to suit every budget and need. Contact us for more information on keeping your equipment working in optimal condition, efficiently and safely.
Another great Manufacturer teams up with Jay-Hill Repairs for their Warranty Service needs.
Champion, Bi-Line, Moyer Diebel and Moffat are significant names in Commercial Kitchens across the country. It is with great pleasure that we announce that we have been approved to represent these companies whenever Warranty Service is required.
We add these manufacturers with pride to our extensive list of manufacturers for whom we have been providing Warranty Service support for over 45 years. You can see those manufacturers here on our website.
We also carry OEM Parts for Champion, Bi-Line, Moyer Diebel and Moffat in our 15,000 square foot Warehouse.
Should you have any questions, or if you need parts or out-of-warranty service, Jay-Hill Repairs is here to respond to your needs 24/7/365.
Call us today!
Will you be our Valentine?
How do we love thee? Let us count the ways!
Everyone wants to be loved. And we do love you. But we love you the most when you help us keep your kitchen in great working order.
Here’s what you can do to make sure our love stays true…
Keep a punch list of issues to give to our technician when he comes in for a service call.
Wipe down your equipment daily. This will help you avoid those horrible clean up tasks that take forever. Always check that your equipment is plugged in, has gas going to it, and that the breaker is on, before calling for service.
Never, ever, clean the floor near your cooking equipment with a hose or pressure washer as you might compromise the electrical components and control boards.
If you see signs of rodent or insect infestation, call your exterminator immediately. Not only is it uncomfortable for our techs to work on equipment with mouse nests or with cockroaches scrambling around them, but these are serious health issues for your customers.
Blow down your steamers between breakfast, lunch and dinner. This will reduce scale buildup which causes damage and reduces the life expectancy and proper operation of your equipment.
These small labors of love will save you money in the long run.
Will we see you less? Yes.
But that’s okay…we’ll still love you!
The best team of CFESA Certified and Factory Trained Technicians in New Jersey
The Largest Warehouse of Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) parts in New Jersey
Over 45 years of exceptional, ethical, professional caring service to our customers.
Selected by several major manufacturers as their Primary or Sole Service Agency for warranty support, due to our outstanding rate of first time fixes and our technicians’ exceptional skill and knowledge.
We have customers today who have been with us our entire time in business. That is a statement that few can make. We build relationships, not just do a job and forget you.
Jay-Hill Repairs’ relationships with our customers are built on:
Urgency to respond to your call
Our approval rating from customers during two separate year-long Customer Satisfaction Surveys was over 99%. We received only TWO minor complaints out of over 3000 surveys sent out, and those 2 complaints were not serious issues.
Jay-Hill Repairs does our best to ensure that our customers are treated with respect and dignity by our entire staff. From your first contact with our Call Takers to the final performance of your equipment repair, we strive to make sure you are more than satisfied.
We employ Parts Runners to rush any necessary part to your tech if it is in stock, so that you can have your equipment up and running the same day we come out.
Whatever your equipment service need, you can count on Jay-Hill Repairs for the best repair service in New Jersey.
It is with great excitement that we announce our Full Allied Vendor Membership to the New Jersey Restaurant Association.
So many of our wonderful customers are restaurants and dining facilities that belong to this fine organization. We look forward to seeing you at some of the upcoming events!
COMMERCIAL KITCHEN SERVICES:
Hot and Cold Commercial Kitchen Equipment Parts, Service, Repairs, Preventative Maintenance & Equipment Replacement.
OEM Parts Distribution. Over 160 OEM Manufacturers Parts in our huge 15,000 square foot Parts Warehouse
HVAC/R Service, Repairs, Replacement and Maintenance
A selection of Flexible Maintenance Contracts to suit your specific needs.
Asset (Equipment) Management Services available.
Voting Members since 1982.
Jay-Hill Repairs’ full sized service vans are seen on roads and highways across NJ and into Eastern PA, Lower NY State and Staten Island. More than likely you’ve seen them in your neighborhood!
UNIVEX joins the growing list of manufacturers who have chosen Jay-Hill Repairs to represent their product line for Warranty and Post Warranty work. Jay-Hill Repairs has a Full range of OEM parts in our 15,000 sq ft Parts warehouse, the Largest of all NJ Service Agencies. AMERICAN RANGE signs Jay-Hill Repairs as their Authorized Factory Service Agency. […]Read More